Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My husband brought this recipe back from New York several years ago. He had the honor of working at the home of Annemarie Huste, Personal Chef to Billy Rose and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. She served him this soup one afternoon and graciously gave him the recipe for his new wife. I have been making it ever since. The whole family looks forward to "soup night" when this one is on the menu.
- Cut butternut squash in half, peel and seed.
- Peel, core and coarsely chop the apples.
- Peel the onion and coarsely chop.
- Combine all these ingredients with the rosemary, marjoram, chicken broth, water, bread, salt and pepper in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth.
- (Do in several batches, not filling the blender more than a quarter full each time).
- Return the soup to the saucepan and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat.
- Just before serving, add the heavy cream.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley on top.