Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe contains no cream and can be prepared in 40 minutes or less. The trick to great butternut squash soup is the simple addition of one tart green apple to balance the sweetness of the squash. Taken from the Simply Recipes website.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth if vegetarian)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, more to taste
- Note: (squash and apple should be at a 3 to 1 ratio).
- Combine butter, onion, celery, and carrot in large saucepan. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add squash, apple, and broth. Bring to boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until squash is soft. Puree. Add spices to taste.
We had this for lunch today and it was delicious. I used two cans or organic Butternut Squash (Farmers Market brand). I left out the cinnamon and added some curry powder. Thanks for posting. I am moving it to my Tried and True folder.