This recipe contains no cream and can be prepared in 40 minutes or less. The trick to great butternut squash soup is the simple addition of one tart green apple to balance the sweetness of the squash. Taken from the Simply Recipes website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth if vegetarian)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, more to taste
- 1Note: (squash and apple should be at a 3 to 1 ratio).
- 2Combine butter, onion, celery, and carrot in large saucepan. Cook for 5 minutes.
- 3Add squash, apple, and broth. Bring to boil.
- 4Simmer for 10 minutes or until squash is soft. Puree. Add spices to taste.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.0
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 914.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 7.1 g