Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
I can't wait to try. From Michael Chiarello
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced leeks, white parts only
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 cups butternut squash, peeled and roughly diced
- 3 cups diced apples, peeled and roughly
- 2 teaspoons toasted dry rub seasonings
- 6 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- sea salt, preferably gray salt
Toasted Spice Rub
- 1⁄8 cup fennel seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 cup pure california chili powder (about .5-ounce)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat, and cook until it turns nut brown.
- Add the leeks and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute briefly to release its fragrance.
- Add the squash and apples, raise the heat to high, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Toasted Spice Rub and cook briefly to toast it, about 1 minute.
- Add the stock or broth-water mixture, bring to a simmer, and partially cover.
- Gently simmer and cook until the squash and apples are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer in batches to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return to the pot, reheat to serving temperature, and season with salt.
- Divide the soup among warmed bowls and garnish each portion with some of the walnuts, if using.
- Serve immediately.
- Toasted Spice Rub:.
- Makes 1/2 cup.
- In a small heavy pan over medium heat, combine the fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and peppercorns.
- When the fennel turns light brown, work quickly.
- Turn on the exhaust fan, add the red pepper flakes, and toss, toss, toss, always under the fan.
- Immediately turn the spice mixture out onto a plate to cool.
- Put in a blender with the chili powder, salt, and cinnamon and blend until the spices are evenly ground.
- If you have a small spice mill or a coffee grinder dedicated to grinding spices, grind only the fennel, coriander, pepper, and chili flakes.
- Pour into a bowl and toss with the remaining ingredients.