Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Butternut and saffron, what a great combination.
- 5 cups chicken broth, hot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled seeded and cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 15 seconds.
- Add squash and rice and cook for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring.
- Slowly and carefully ad 1/2 cup of the hot broth and the saffron, stirring constantly.
- Continue to cook and stir over medium heat until broth is absorbed. Continue adding broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until the broth has been absorbed but mixture is creamy. (This should take about 25 minutes).
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter, the 2 tablespoons of cheese and the pepper.
- Spoon into a serving bowl. Sprinkle with additional parmesan.
I usually make butternut squash risotto a little different by roasting the squash first so I was very interested in trying this way. I followed the recipe exactly. I thought it could have a little more flavor. Definitely needs some salt and more pepper. Next time I will add a little more garlic or maybe some shallots. This recipe is easy and has great color. I will make this again.