Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Pumpkins and Squash by Kathleen Desmond Stang.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth or 2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups butternut squash, shredded
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, fresh, grated
- salt and pepper
- Heat chicken broth and water in a saucepan to a slow simmer.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat and add the onion.
- Cook 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add shredded squash and cook over medium heat until lightly browned (10 - 15 minutes).
- Stir often.
- Add rice and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add wine and cook and stir until liquid is absorbed.
- Add 1/2 cup of broth mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed.
- Continue stirring in broth 1/2 cup at a time until all or most of the liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender but still al dente (20 - 25 minutes).
- Stir in Parmesan and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with more Parmesan.