Recipe by Terese
You can use any type of pumpkin for this soup, however, the butternut pumpkin adds a really sweet flavour, which is why I prefer not adding any cream at the end, put it's purely a taste thing.
- 40 g butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped coarsely
- 1 1⁄2 kg butternut pumpkin, chopped coarsely
- 2 large potatoes, chopped coarsely
- 1 1⁄2 liters chicken stock (6 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large saucepan, cook onion, stirring, until soft.
- Stir in pumpkin and potato, cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock, bring to a boil, simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until pumpkin is soft, stirring occasionally.
- Blend or process soup, in batches, until pureed.
- If desired, push through food mill or large sieve into a large clean saucepan.
- Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream and a few chives (optional).
- If adding cream:.
- Just before serving, add cream, stir over heat until soup is hot.