Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've made this soup fast, tasty, and easy! It 's creamy fruity with a slight kick from the ginger. A real comfort soup. I don't peel my squash just blend it up smooth in a vita mix or any high powered blender. You never know it's in there. But your body will love you for it! This I tried to keep low in fat and sugar by using low fat milk and pears in a light syrup. In the picture I garnished with Spicy Roasted Butternut Seeds / Pumpkin Seeds and fresh ripe pears slices. Alternate method for pureeing butternut Pureed Squash Butternut, Acorn Any Hard Winter Squash!
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 large butternut squash (for easy roasted check Pureed Squash Butternut, Acorn Any Hard Winter Squash!)
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can pears in light syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups low-fat milk or 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon crystallized ginger, diced
Season to taste
- sherry wine
- roasted butternut squash seeds
- roasted pumpkin seeds (Spicy Roasted Butternut Seeds / Pumpkin Seeds )
- Slice butternut into 4 and remove seeds and fiber.
- Place in a microwave oven and cook till tender for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile saute onions in butter for 10 minutes till golden brown then add brown sugar and spices cook for 5 more minutes over low heat. Add broth to deglaze the pot!
- Cube squash and if you have a good blender like a vita mix you don`t have to peel just put it in you blender along with all the ingredients and process till smooth.
- In a pot add all ingredients and simmer 10 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and sherry if desired.
Fabulous! But here are my changes. I had everything in my pantry (I was amazed) except curry powder so I left that out, although I was upset to find out my pears had corn syrup on them (grr), so I used fresh instead. It takes longer than 10 minutes to cook the onions until golden, and I did more of a deep golden for more flavor. I did not use milk, I used more chicken stock in place of the milk. We served it with a fresh fruit salad, fresh homemade rolls and a good ham. The saltiness of the ham went perfect with the sweet soup. My mother and I agreed that milk would have made it too desserty. Although I may try it with coconut milk. We didn't use milk at first due to allergy, but loved it without it anyway! Thanks!
Very tasty! I'd never thought of putting pears in a soup, but it really works. I used fresh pears instead of tinned, and used extra vegetable stock instead of milk. Great recipe!
I made a few changes too, I didn't use the crystalized ginger as i didn't have any. I used pears in natural juices and coconut milk it was fantasti!! Creamy spicy and delicious!!! Thank You!