Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this recipe in a old Southern Living cookbook that my dh's granny gave to me.
- 1 -2 lb butternut squash
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 teaspoons reduced-calorie margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, and remove seeds.
- cut side down in a shallow dish; add hot water to depth of 1/2 inch in dish.
- Cover and bake 375F for 35 minutes, till tender.
- Let cool; carefully scoop out pulp.
- Mash pulp with potato masher.
- combine 2 cups squash and next 4 ingredients, stir well.
- Beat in yolks till thick and lemon colored; stir into the squash mixture.
- Beat egg whites (at room temp) till stiff but not dry.
- Gently fold into squash mixture, Spoon mixture into 6 ungreased individual 6 oz souffle dishes.
- Bake 375 for 20 minutes, till puffed and light brown.
- Garnish with pecans and serve.