1/1 Photo of Butternut Macaroni and Cheese (With Squash)
1 hr 30 mins
I found a recipe for mac and cheese with butternut squash, then another and combined them and added a few twists of my own. This is a delicious fall meal!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage (you can use a bit more of fresh)
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cheese, shredded (sharp cheddar, fontina, mozzarella)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 lb pasta (rotini or elbows)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1preheat oven to 425.
- 2combine squash, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- 3roast squash for about 40 minutes until it's tender and getting lightly browned.
- 4reduce oven temp to 350.
- 5meanwhile, heat butter in a large skillet and saute onion, garlic and sage about 5 minutes.
- 6stir in flour 2 minutes.
- 7add milk and bring to a boil, whisking until thick.
- 8stir in cheeses, cayenne, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- 9add squash, smashing with a whisk until desired consistency.
- 10cook pasta al dente, combine with sauce and pour into a greased casserole. Top with bread crumbs and bake 30-40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Macaroni and Cheese (With Squash)
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 918.2
- Calories from Fat 302
- Total Fat 33.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 87.7 mg
- Sodium 606.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 119.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 34.9 g