From Hungry Girl. I love her healthy twists on some of my naughty favorite foods! I haven't tried this one yet, but it sounds fabulous! UPDATE! We had these for dinner last night and they were AMAZING! It really is important to get the squash as dry as possible - otherwise you'll get mushy hashbrowns! :) Also, the squash cooks down quite a bit, so next time I'll double the recipe since we know we like it now! UPDATE #2: Here's how I prepared the shredded squash. If anyone has a better method, let me know! (This wasn't part of the original recipe from Hungry Girl.) I cut the uncooked squash into 4 large "chunks", and then removed the seeds and shell. I shredded the squash using the "big" side of a box grater. If the "chunks" were too large to manage, I cut them into smaller pieces. (Hope that helps!)
- Spread the shredded squash out between 2 layers of paper towels. Press down to absorb as much of the moisture from the squash as possible. Repeat if necessary, until no more water can be removed.
- Toss squash shreds with onion, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Bring a small to medium pan sprayed generously with nonstick spray (a 1 to 2 second spray) to high heat.
- Add mixture to the pan and cook for 3 minutes.
- Flip shreds with a spatula and cook for another 3 minutes or so (until cooked and browned).
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper.
- Optional toppings: Ketchup, salsa, etc.