Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I'm saving this soup to try for Thanksgiving. Sounds yummy. From Bon Appetit.
Make and share this Butternut-Corn Chowder With Goat Cheese Croutons recipe from Food.com.
- 4 ounces chilled soft fresh goat cheese, cut into 1-inch-thick rounds (such as Montrachet)
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 4 ounces pancetta (1/4-inch-thick slices) or 4 bacon, slices (thick)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 1⁄4 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 4 1⁄2 cups canned roasted-garlic chicken broth or 4 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chilies
- 1 (16 ounce) bagfrozen sweet white corn (unthawed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- Cut each cheese round into 8 wedges.
- Place eggs in small bowl.
- Place cornmeal in another bowl; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, dip cheese into eggs, then into cornmeal, turning to coat.
- Press cornmeal gently to adhere.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Freeze 1 hour.
- Chop pancetta or bacon.
- Cook pancetta in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to paper towels.
- Add onion to drippings in pan; saute until just tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, broth and chilies; simmer until squash is tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Mix in corn; simmer until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer 3 1/2 cups soup to blender; puree.
- Mix puree into remaining soup in pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- (Pancetta and soup can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover pancetta; chill. Chill soup uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Bring pancetta to room temperature before continuing.)
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add frozen cheese; brown well, about 1 minute per side.
- Meanwhile, bring soup to simmer.
- Mix in sage.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Top with pancetta and cheese croutons.