I'm saving this soup to try for Thanksgiving. Sounds yummy. From Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces chilled soft fresh goat cheese, cut into 1-inch-thick rounds (such as Montrachet)
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 4 ounces pancetta (1/4-inch-thick slices) or 4 bacon, slices (thick)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 1/4 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 4 1/2 cups canned roasted-garlic chicken broth or 4 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chilies
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen sweet white corn (unthawed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1Cut each cheese round into 8 wedges.
- 2Place eggs in small bowl.
- 3Place cornmeal in another bowl; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 4Working in batches, dip cheese into eggs, then into cornmeal, turning to coat.
- 5Press cornmeal gently to adhere.
- 6Place on baking sheet.
- 7Freeze 1 hour.
- 8Chop pancetta or bacon.
- 9Cook pancetta in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- 10Using slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to paper towels.
- 11Add onion to drippings in pan; saute until just tender, about 4 minutes.
- 12Add butternut squash, broth and chilies; simmer until squash is tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- 13Mix in corn; simmer until tender, about 8 minutes.
- 14Transfer 3 1/2 cups soup to blender; puree.
- 15Mix puree into remaining soup in pan.
- 16Season with salt and pepper.
- 17(Pancetta and soup can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover pancetta; chill. Chill soup uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Bring pancetta to room temperature before continuing.)
- 18Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 19Add frozen cheese; brown well, about 1 minute per side.
- 20Meanwhile, bring soup to simmer.
- 21Mix in sage.
- 22Ladle soup into bowls.
- 23Top with pancetta and cheese croutons.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut-Corn Chowder With Goat Cheese Croutons
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 248.0
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 53.0 mg
- Sodium 506.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 10.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: