Recipe by Jellyqueen
I adopted this recipe in the RecipeZaar recipe adoption. Although I have not made it yet, Susie in Tx has and she made some great suggestions in her review. Please take a look and give this cake a try.
Top Review by Susie in Texas
My grandmother used to make butternut cake and that is one reason I chose to make/review this recipe as part of our group support for adopted recipes. I chose to use butternut extract in the cake and butter pecan extract in the frosting because I used pecans on top. Either extract would work perfectly. This recipe makes three nice sized layers and the frosting was plenty for all three. The cake is moist and delicately seasoned with the rich buttery flavor of the extract. For the frosting, I only used 1/4 cup butter instead of the 1/2 cup called for. I like my frosting to be a little on the stiff side and I felt that too much butter would make it too soft. The butter pecan extract really intensifies the flavor of this cream cheese frosting. I toasted about 1 cup of pecan halves and placed them on the top of the frosted cake. This made a very nice presentation. I had a lot of comments on how delicious this cake was and I have to agree. It sure brought back memories of Grandma's cakes.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups flour, Sifted
- 3 teaspoons butternut flavoring
- icing, ingredients
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons butternut flavoring
- 1 cup nuts, Chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans of butter.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix soda and salt into buttermilk until foamy.
- Add alternately with flour.
- Add 3 teaspoons flavoring.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake until done, 20 to 25 minutes.
- For icing.
- Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add box of powdered sugar and beat well.
- Add butternut flavoring and blend.
- Stir in chopped pecans.
- Spread thinly between layers and cover cake completely with icing.