Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious dessert from the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (not spread or tub product) or 1⁄2 cup margarine (not spread or tub product)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped (preferably butternuts)
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a loaf pan.
- Sift dry ingredients together into a bowl.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light; add eggs and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients alternatively with the hot water to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in nuts and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until tests done.
- Let cool in pan for five minutes, then turn out of pan onto cooling rack.
- Excellent frosted with Maple Sugar Icing Recipe #187818 or your own preferred recipe.