Prep 0 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From The French Slow Cooker
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet apples, such as Fuji or 1 large golden delicious apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, plus more for garnish
- 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- sliced apple, for garnish
- In a large slow cooker, combine the squash, onion, apple, and broth. Add 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or until the vegetables are very soft. Let cool slightly. Transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Add the cream and nutmeg and blend again. Reheat if necessary. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if needed.
- Spoon the soup into serving bowls, drizzle each serving with a teaspoon of heavy cream, garnish with the nutmeg and apple slices, and serve hot.