Recipe by LizCl
The best soup. When I make this soup I always get raves. It's rich and creamy. I got it from Taste of Home.
Top Review by lucy k.
I found this quite bland at first. I think using three leeks as the previous reviewer suggested is a good idea. For seasoning, I used 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh ginger, a teaspoon of cinnamon, 1.5 teaspoons of black pepper, 1/3 teaspoon of cayenne and a bit of nutmeg. This turned out delicious.
- 2 medium sliced carrots
- 2 chopped celery ribs, with leaves
- 2 medium sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 59.14 ml butter
- 907.18 g peeled seeded and cubed butternut squash (about 6 cups)
- 2 (822.13 g) can chicken broth
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 118.29 ml half-and-half cream
- 2.46 ml salt
- 7.39 ml white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute carrots, celery and leeks in butter for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the squash, broth and ginger; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until the squash is tender, about 25 minutes. Cool until lukewarm.
- In a blender or food processor puree squash mixture in small batches until smooth; return to pan.
- Add cream, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Heat through but do not boil.