Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Cooking Light. Per 1 1/2 cup serving: 262 calories, 6.8 g fat, 22.9 g protein, 30.1 g carb, 5.6 g fiber, 46 mg cholesterol.
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups chopped peeled butternut squash
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup small pitted ripe olives
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeno peppers
- 6 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Add the first 3 ingredients to a dutch oven; cook over medium-high heat until the beef is browned, stirring to crumble; drain and return meat mixture to pan.
- Add in chopped tomato and the mext 9 ingredients; stir to combine; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until squash is tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in olives and jalapeno; cook 5 minutes.
- Ladle into individual bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon green onions and 1 teaspoon cilantro.
Very good. The only change I made was to drain the beef before adding the onion and peppers. A nice way to get a "different" vegetable into our old family standby, chili. I normally add brown sugar to my chili, but this didn't need it as the pumpkin adds some sweetness. I doubled the recipe and it made LOTS. I froze some and will let you know how it goes when I reheat it. Thanks, NurseDi!