Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
Bring back barley! This ones for charlotte J!
Top Review by saltpeter2091
Loved it! Had to substitute spelt for barley (I put a lid on the risotto after adding the last 1 1/2 cups to make sure it soaked in) and had to substitute white pepper for the leeks. Also served it with asparagus with a lemon/mustard dressing: the dressing mixed in a bit with the risotto, making it even yummier. Am very excited to try more variations.
- 100 g butter
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 400 g butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 leek, sliced and washed
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 300 g barley
- 2 liters hot vegetable stock
- 150 g grated parmesan cheese, castelli for veggie version
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large wide pan and add butter and fennel seeds. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add squash and black pepper. Saute for 2 minutes Stirring often.
- Remove squash with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add leek, onions, bay leaves and garlic. Saute until onions begin to caramelise.
- Add barley to pan and stir for 1 minute. Return squash and add the salt.
- Mix well and add 1 litre of the stock. Stir while bringing to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Continue adding 1/2 cups of the hot stock at 4 min intervals. When all stock has been added, stir in the cheese and serve.