Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A Nigella Lawson recipe.
Make and share this Butternut, Arugula and Pine Nut Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 butternut squash, approximately 2 1/4 pounds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed canola oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons for dressing
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup water, freshly boiled
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 4 ounces about 3 cups arugula and other salad leaves
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Don't bother to peel, but halve and seed the butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices, then cut each slice into four.
- Put the butternut pieces in a bowl with the salt, spices and 2 tablespoons oil and smoosh them about, then tip onto a lipped baking sheet (lined with aluminum foil). Don't clean the bowl yet.
- Cook the squash for 30 to 40 minutes. Check to see if it is cooked through by the time the half hour's up by piercing with a fork; some squashes cook faster than others.
- Add the golden raisins to the spice-smeared bowl and cover with the freshly boiled water; once cooled, whisk in the vinegar and the 2 tablespoons oil that remain.
- Put half of the salad leaves over a large plate or bowl and arrange the butternut pieces on top. Sprinkle with the remaining salad leaves and the toasted pine nuts. Scrape the raisin-studded dressing out of the bowl to dribble over it all and toss gently before serving.
Perfectly delicious. The flavors were clean and simple. I used regular raisins because I couldn't bring myself to pay $5 for golden raisins when I already had raisins at home. I loved that the squash didn't need to be peeled because who enojoys doing that!? Thanks so much for posting. A definite keeper!