1/1 Photo of Butternut, Arugula and Pine Nut Salad
A Nigella Lawson recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 butternut squash, approximately 2 1/4 pounds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed canola oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons for dressing
- 1/3 cup golden raisin
- 1/4 cup water, freshly boiled
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 4 ounces about 3 cups arugula and other salad leaves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Don't bother to peel, but halve and seed the butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices, then cut each slice into four.
- 2Put the butternut pieces in a bowl with the salt, spices and 2 tablespoons oil and smoosh them about, then tip onto a lipped baking sheet (lined with aluminum foil). Don't clean the bowl yet.
- 3Cook the squash for 30 to 40 minutes. Check to see if it is cooked through by the time the half hour's up by piercing with a fork; some squashes cook faster than others.
- 4Add the golden raisins to the spice-smeared bowl and cover with the freshly boiled water; once cooled, whisk in the vinegar and the 2 tablespoons oil that remain.
- 5Put half of the salad leaves over a large plate or bowl and arrange the butternut pieces on top. Sprinkle with the remaining salad leaves and the toasted pine nuts. Scrape the raisin-studded dressing out of the bowl to dribble over it all and toss gently before serving.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut, Arugula and Pine Nut Salad
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.1
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 449.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: