A vegetarian dish which I use when I'm tired of meat. Simple to make and tasty. From Leith's Recipe of the Day. My children like it, my husband loves it. Can be made ahead and reheated. It will take 40 minutes to reheat from cold.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 30 g butter
- 30 g plain flour
- 2.46 ml dry English-style mustard
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 425 ml milk
- 14.79 ml parsley, finely chopped
- 140 g gruyere cheese, grated
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 55 g coarse breadcrumbs
- 29.58 ml parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1Preheat oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
- 2Bring a large sauce of salted water to the boil, add the butternut and sweet potatoes and cook for ten minutes or until tender. Drain well.
- 3Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the flour, mustard and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine and cook for one minute. Take the pan off the heat and add the cold milk gradually, stirring all the time.
- 4Return the saucepan to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring, until the sauce is thick. Allow to simmer for two minutes. Remove from the heat, then add parsley and all but 2 tablespoon of the gruyere cheese. Season to taste.
- 5Add the squash and sweet potatoes to the white sauce and stir to coat thoroughly. Tip the mixture into a baking dish.
- 6Make the topping by mixing together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan and remaining Gruyere cheese. Sprinkle over the sweet potato and squash filling.
- 7Bake in the oven for 20 - 30 minutes until bubbling and golden on top.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut and Sweet Potato Crumble
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.5
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 71.2 mg
- Sodium 398.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 21.6 g