Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've had this recipe for years and years. I have no idea where I got it, but I do know its always a hit! I usually make these with part whole wheat flour.
- 5 -6 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup buttermilk, warm
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand about 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, salt, soda and egg.
- Add emough flour to make a stiff batter and beat about 2 minutes on medium speed of mixer.
- Pour in warm buttermilk and melted butter.
- Add enough flour to make a firm dough; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Put in a large, buttered bowl and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and let rest about 5 minutes.
- Form dough into 24 balls and place in three buttered round cake pans. Rise, covered, until doubled in bulk.
- Brush rolls with heavy cream or melted butter, if desired.
- Bake at 350 for 25 - 30 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.