Recipe by cookiedog
This recipe is for 2 servings so you may want to double it. From Down Home with the Neelys.
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 quart strawberry, hulled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- powdered sugar, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar with a hand mixer until stiff peaks appear.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, buttermilk, vanilla and 2 sticks of melted butter.
- Into a large bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Combine with the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated. Fold the whites into the batter, gently.
- Grease the waffle iron with a small amount of melted butter and heat the waffle iron according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Ladle batter onto the waffle iron and cook until golden brown, about 3 1/2 to 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- For the strawberry sauce:.
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine the strawberries, sugar, water, lemon zest, lemon juice and cornstarch. Bring to a simmer and whisk gently until mixture thickens slightly.
- Serve waffles with powdered sugar and strawberry sauce.