Recipe by Pookie Ann
This recipe is from the Outsmart Diabetes Cookbook. They have it as a pancake recipe, but I prefer waffles. They're light and have a pleasant flavor. They're my family's favorite waffles.
Top Review by Liz Hallsworth
Great recipe! It was nice to find a recipe that didn't use a stick of butter ;) I didn't have ww pastry flour, so used 1 cup white, 1 cup ww and 1tsp. corn starch. Made the outside nice and crispy. I also beat the egg white seperately and folded them in. This was the first recipe that's made good waffles in my waffle maker. I'm glad it's on the healthier side
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- water, to desired consistency
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg and egg white until very foamy.
- Whisk in the buttermilk, vanilla extract, and oil.
- Stir into the flour mixture just until combined.
- Add water until desired consistency.
- Heat waffle iron, spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare waffles according to manufacturer's directions.
- Serve with sugar-free syrup.