Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
I found this recipe in a Inn cookbook. Made some changes to make it somewhat healthier. I enjoy them with yogurt and fruit
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, seperated at room temp
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups flax seed meal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (minus flaxseed meal) and mix well.
- In another bowl whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, flaxseed meal, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and combine.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour into waffle iron and cook until desired color or until done.
I cut this down to 1/3 of the recipe (just 2 of us for this one!) & made 4 GREAT TASTING WAFFLES! With the unusual (for me) combination of whole wheat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon & buttermilk, not to mention the flax seed meal, these were bursting with flavor! And, I liked the idea of serving them with yogurt (though I don't know if you meant on top or on the side!) so topped them with a thin layer of fat-free vanilla yogurt & a sprinkling of berries ~ OUTSTANDING! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef]