Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This WAS stroganoff when I was growing up. I never heard of the kind with sour cream until I was a teen. It's so good. I hope you enjoy it too.
- 1 lb steak, cut into strips or 1 lb stew meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons catsup
- Brown meat, onion, and mushrooms in a large saucepan.
- Combine sauce ingredients and add to beef. Cook on medium-low until meat is tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add buttermilk and turn up heat to medium-high. Mix corn starch and water and add to the sauce. Cook until sauce has thickened, stirring continuously.
- Crock pot directions: Brown meat and veggies as directed in step 1. Combine sauce ingredients and place in crock pot with browned beef. Cook 1 1/2 to 2 hours on high or until beef is tender. Add the buttermilk. Mix cornstarch and water and add to crock pot. Cook an additional 30 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Serve over hot noodles, rice, or even potatoes.
I'm sorry to give this a 2 star. You just cannot beat the old fashion flavor of a sour cream sauce. Only thing I did different was not to add mushrooms because of the kids.