Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
Here's a nice way to cook old squirrels which are too tough for frying.
Make and share this Buttermilk Squirrel Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash squirrels well inside and out with warm water.
- Cut into serving pieces.
- Put squirrel into a kettle, add water to cover 2 inches and add salt, heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer until very tender, 1-2 hours+ depending on age.
- The meat should be almost ready to fall off the bones.
- Remove squirrel and let drain.
- When cooled cut meat from bones.
- Mix together vegetables, soup and squirrel meat in a casserole dish.
- Mix buttermilk, margine and flour together and pour over top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
now see? this is just why i love this site...terrific recipes and terrific people. i live in jersey and i'd have no quams over eating squirrel if it were served to me in this meal. i agree; sounds good.
I didn't have squirrel on hand so I used chicken per another reviewers suggestion. (used to love the fried squirrel my grandma used to make)I thought this dish was just terrific. I hope to have squirrel next time and invite Lalaloob over for this dish with some chitlins' and pickled pork feet. OMG.
Sounds great!!! Can't wait to try it.