Recipe by Chuck in Killbuck
Here's a nice way to cook old squirrels which are too tough for frying.
Top Review by jennifer in new jersey
now see? this is just why i love this site...terrific recipes and terrific people. i live in jersey and i'd have no quams over eating squirrel if it were served to me in this meal. i agree; sounds good.
- 2 squirrels, cut up
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can vegetables, mixed, I usually use 2
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup self rising flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash squirrels well inside and out with warm water.
- Cut into serving pieces.
- Put squirrel into a kettle, add water to cover 2 inches and add salt, heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer until very tender, 1-2 hours+ depending on age.
- The meat should be almost ready to fall off the bones.
- Remove squirrel and let drain.
- When cooled cut meat from bones.
- Mix together vegetables, soup and squirrel meat in a casserole dish.
- Mix buttermilk, margine and flour together and pour over top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes.