1 hr 45 mins
Chuck in Killbuck's Note:
Here's a nice way to cook old squirrels which are too tough for frying.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Wash squirrels well inside and out with warm water.
- 3Cut into serving pieces.
- 4Put squirrel into a kettle, add water to cover 2 inches and add salt, heat to boiling.
- 5Reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer until very tender, 1-2 hours+ depending on age.
- 6The meat should be almost ready to fall off the bones.
- 7Remove squirrel and let drain.
- 8When cooled cut meat from bones.
- 9Mix together vegetables, soup and squirrel meat in a casserole dish.
- 10Mix buttermilk, margine and flour together and pour over top.
- 11Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Wild Game Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Squirrel Pie
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 796.3
- Calories from Fat 498
- Total Fat 55.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 4.9 mg
- Sodium 3531.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 13.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: