Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Here's a nice way to cook old squirrels which are too tough for frying.
Make and share this Buttermilk Squirrel Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash squirrels well inside and out with warm water.
- Cut into serving pieces.
- Put squirrel into a kettle, add water to cover 2 inches and add salt, heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer until very tender, 1-2 hours+ depending on age.
- The meat should be almost ready to fall off the bones.
- Remove squirrel and let drain.
- When cooled cut meat from bones.
- Mix together vegetables, soup and squirrel meat in a casserole dish.
- Mix buttermilk, margine and flour together and pour over top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes.