Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
easy and fast recipe from better Homes and Gardens Book way back in the 70's.
Make and share this Buttermilk Spice Cake With Penuche Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup fresh dairy buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 whole eggs
- 1⁄2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 3⁄4-2 cups powdered icing sugar
- In a mixer bowl, sift flour, white sugar, powder, soda, salt and spices.
- I also sometimes add a grating of fresh nutmeg, and a pinch of ginger if desired.
- (never measured amounts).
- Add buttermilk, brown sugar, and shortening.
- Beat for two minutes.
- Add eggs, and beat another and final two minutes.
- Spread batter into two greased and floured 9 inch round cake pans.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes, until tester shows done.
- Cool and remove to wire rack for perfect cooling.
- Penuche Frosting:.
- In saucepan melt the half cup butter and stir in the one cup brown sugar.
- Cook until dissolved and boil for two minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the quarter cup evaporated milk.
- Return to heat and return to boiling point stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Beat in 1 3/4 to 2 cups powdered icing sugar.
- If its too thick add in a few tablespoons more milk little at a time.
- If its too thin add in more icing powder a little at a time.
- When to your desired spreading consistency, fill and frost cake.
I was browsing looking for a spice cake (easy) and this is just great. Recall this recipe from the past. For novice bakers please make sure that eggs, buttermilk and shortening are at room temperature. It doesn't even need frosting. Thanks for reminding me of a great spice cake.