Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A deliciously smooth, sweet soup. My mother used to make sweet milk soups when I was growing up. I think that this kind of soup in customary mainly in Northern Europe. From Jean Pare's Company's Coming Soups & Sandwiches. Cooking time is chill time.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup whipped cream, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam, for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks then add sugar, lemon juice, lemon rind and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth and well mixed.
- Slowly beat in buttermilk.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When serving, top each bowl of soup with a dollop of whipped cream and top whipped cream with a bit of jam.
Wasn't sure how this would turn out since I'd never many anything like this before, but it came out very, very well, I thought! I whipped up some real cream for this & topped if off with a bit of homemade strawberry jam that I'd made earlier last year! Thanks for introducing me to this delight! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]