Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Australian Super Food Ideas. We found these to be easy to make and served with diet jam (no sugar) and a dollop of cream.
- 828.06 ml self-raising flour
- 29.58 ml caster sugar
- 60 g butter
- 354.88 ml buttermilk
- 0.59 ml salt (a pinch)
- Preheat oven to 220 degree C (200 C for fan forced oven).
- Grease and flour a 8cm deep, 19cm (base) square cake tin.
- Place flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add butter and using fingertips rub butter in flour mix until mix resembles fine breadcrumbs (or give it a quick buzz in the food processor and then transfer mix to a bowl).
- Make a well in the centre and add buttermilk and using a flat bladed knife, stir until dough almost comes together.
- Place on a lightly floured surface and knead gently until dough comes together.
- Press out to a 3cm thick round.
- Dip a 5cm round cutter into flour to prevent dough sticking and cut out scones (biscuits).
- Gently press leftover dough pieces together and repeat cutting out more scones - should make a total of 16 scones.
- Place scones, touching into prepared tin.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until light golden and hollow when tapped on top.
- Serve with jam and cream or honey (or golden syrup) and cream .
YUMMY!!! Food.com won't let me put stars - but I give them a 5!
Super TASTY and very FLUFFY scones! They were so easy and quick to put together and made for a wonderful breakfast treat this morning. I made some of them without the sugar and topped them with grated cheese before baking, which was really nice as well. These scones have a wonderful texture and a delicate not overly sweet taste. I made the full batch and got 10 big scones out of it. Thanks so much for sharing this gem of a recipe, I'm Pat! I will surely make it again! Made and reviewed for Every Day is a Holiday Tag Game March 2009.
Delicious scones/biscuits!!! So quick and easy using the self-raising flour. I too, didn't add the sugar as was serving with a sweet fruit salad. I cut the recipe to serve 4 and that worked out perfectly. Thanks for sharing I'mPat. Made for PRMR tag.