These are a wonderful quick breakfast and are lovely as a snack with a cup of coffee or tea.
Make and share this Buttermilk Rusks recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 240°C.
- Sift the dry ingredients and stir til well mixed.
- Cut in butter - the mixture should resemble corn meal when done.
- Beat buttermilk and egg together and add to dry ingredients.
- Mix to a firm dough.
- Pinch off golf ball sized pieces of dough and press lightly into rectangular shape approx 2cm thick.
- Place close together in two greased loaf pans (30cm x36cm x 7cm) and brush the sides of each row of balls with oil so that the rusks will break apart easily after being baked.
- Brush with diluted milk.
- Bake at 240C for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 190C and bake for further 50 minutes.
- Turn out on cooling rack and break in two or three places so that the rusks will cool more quickly.
- When cool, break neatly into individual rusks and allow to dry out in a very low oven (120C).