1/2 Photos of Buttermilk Rolls or Classic White Bread
1 hr 10 mins
Red Apple Guy's Note:
Like this one, most of my favorite "go-to" recipes are Peter Reinhart's or variations of his recipes. This is the recipe I make for parties or guests that I know aren't whole grain fans like we are. If you weigh ingredients, you'll get amazing consistency. $25 will get you a very good scale these days (and is great for dieters). The yeast amounts can be varied for improved flavor but increased rise times. Loaves and rolls can be retarded either as bulk dough or shaped rolls and loaves. I do this for convenience, for flavor, and I like the tiny white bubbles or spots on the surface refrigeration causes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 539 g unbleached bread flour (4 1/8 cups)
- 8 g instant yeast (2 teaspoons)
- 1 large egg (47 g, beaten slightly)
- 57 g butter (1/4 cup, room temp, margarine or oil works as well)
- 341 g buttermilk (1 1/2 cups at room temp)
- 43 g sugar (3 tablespoons)
- 11 g salt (1 1/2 teaspoons table salt)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- sesame (optional) or poppy seed (optional)
- 1Mix all dry ingredients except salt.
- 2Mix egg, and buttermilk and melted butter.
- 3Add liquids to dry ingredients until a uniform dough is made (may be shaggy at this time).
- 4Cover and let sit for 20 minutes to strengthen dough.
- 5Add salt.
- 6Knead by hand or mixer for 8 minutes. In a mixer, the dough will clean the sides of the bowl, but the bottom may stick some so take time during the kneading to mix the dough from top to bottom once or twice.
- 7Also during the kneading add flour or water to make a soft and tacky but not sticky dough. Sticky means dough stays on the fingers when touched.
- 8Test for a windowpane (stretch some to see if it tears or is thin enough to show light through). Knead a little more if necessary.
- 9Let the dough rise in oiled and covered bowl until doubled (60 minutes or so).
- 10For rolls: divide into 2 ounce portions and stretch a smooth side to form a ball. Roll with a cupped hand on a clean surface to smooth it out. The ball can take some downward pressure.
- 11Place on parchment 1" apart, cover and let rise for 20 to 45 minutes or unitl almost doubled in volume.
- 12For loaves: divide into 2 loaves, shape and place in 8 x 4" pans.
- 13Let rise covered, for 45 to 60 min until doubled or just shy of doubled.
- 14Preaheat oven to 400 F and drop temps once bread is placed in the oven.
- 15Bake loaves at 350F until 205F internally, rotating in oven after 20 minutes.
- 16Brush rolls with egg-water mixture if desired.
- 17Bake rolls at 375F until 205F internally (15 to 20 min) rotating the pan half-way during the bake.
- 18Remove bread from pans or parchment and cool on a rack.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Rolls or Classic White Bread
Serving Size: 1 (50 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.8
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 28.1 mg
- Sodium 287.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 5.1 g