Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a highly rated recipe from Red Star Yeast. Various methods are listed for preparation. What's so easy is the shaping technique.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Bread Machine Method: Have all ingredients at room temperature. Place ingredients in pan in the order listed. Select dough/ manual cycle. Do not use the delay timer. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, 1/2 to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. At end of cycle, remove dough; follow "Rising, Shaping and Baking" instructions below.
- Mixer Methods: Combine yeast, 1 cup flour, and other dry ingredients. Combine water, buttermilk and oil; heat to 120º to 130º F.
- Hand-Held Mixer Method: Combine dry mixture and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Stand Mixer Method: Combine dry mixture and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Gradually add remaining flour and knead with dough hook for 5 minutes or until smooth.
- Food Processor: Have all ingredients at room temperature. Put dry mixture in processing bowl with steel blade. While motor is running, add liquid ingredients. Process until mixed. Continue processing, adding remaining flour until dough forms a ball.
- Rising, Shaping and Baking: Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top and cover the bowl. Turn on oven to lowest setting for 1 minute, then turn it OFF. Place dough in oven to rise for 15 minutes. Press dough evenly into greased 9-inch square cake pan. Sprinkle top of dough lightly with flour. With sharp knife, cut dough into 12 rolls, cutting almost to bottom of pan. Cover; let rise in warm place until indentation remains after touching. Bake in preheated 400º F over for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pan. Break apart into rolls; serve warm.
- Notes & Tips: You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) in place of Active Dry Yeast in your recipes. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Use equal amounts when baking using traditional methods. When using the Bread Machine, use 1/2 tsp Instant Yeast OR 3/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe.