Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 25 mins
From Whole Foods, these rich and fluffy rolls make a great accompaniment to any dinner and are the perfect recipe for beginning bakers. Make large pull apart rolls (9) or individual cloverleaf rolls (12) with the same dough. You can play with these too, adding herbs, seasonings, etc.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups of the flour, salt and yeast until well combined; set aside. In a small pot, heat buttermilk until warm to the touch (about 115°F). (Be careful not to overheat the milk since it may cook the egg.) Remove pot from heat and whisk in honey, 3 tablespoons of the butter and egg. Pour buttermilk mixture into bowl with flour mixture and whisk until a thick batter is formed. Stir in remaining 1 3/4 cups flour until a soft dough is formed.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead, dusting dough with more flour as needed to keep it from sticking, until smooth and no longer sticky, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Or, using your kirchenaid or similar mixer, knead the soft dough in the machine for several minutes until the dough is smooth and cool to the touch.
- For cloverleaf rolls, divide dough into 36 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Arrange 3 balls of dough in each cup of a greased 12-muffin tin. For large pull apart rolls, divide dough into 12 equal pieces and roll each into a small ball. Arrange balls of dough snugly in a greased 9-inch round cake pan. Brush rolls with a bit of the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, then cover loosely and set aside in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Brush rolls with remaining butter and bake until deep golden brown and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot, spread with butter, if you like.