Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Regular russet potatoes will work fine in this recipe if you are unable to find the Yukon Gold.
Prepare and Roast
- 6 -7 cups yukon gold potatoes, pototes peeled and cut into large chunks (2 1/4 lb)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Mash and Add
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk, warmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- salt and pepper
- Prepare potatoes for roasting by peeling and cutting into large chunks.
- Toss with oil.
- Place in 425°F oven on lowest rack for best browning.
- Roast for 40-45 minutes, turning at least once.
- Mash potatoes in large bowl, leaving them slightly chunky.
- Stir in buttermilk, butter, and chives.
- Season with salt and pepper.
What a great idea! I used Nadine potatoes (general purpose) The crunchy roasted potato mashed with the buttermilk and chives make this dish a real winner. I didnt use as many potatoes so cut the amount of buttermilk back too. Thanks Bev!
These potatoes were different! My son loved them, the buttermilk gave them lots of flavor! My son made them and he left the peels on (lazy), and they were still good! He used regular baking potatoes.
Wonderful potatoes! The buttermilk gave the dish a very rich, unique flavor that we loved. I didn't have chives but used chopped green onions. My DH made potato pancakes the next night to have with grilled steak tips & onions rather than bread or biscuits, and they were a hit in that incarnation, too! Bev, this one's a real winner...totally delish. Thanks for sharing; we'll be making this one a LOT!