Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Super easy, fine textured and low fat cheese ready to nosh on in under 2 hours? You bet! Cook time includes draining time. Adapted from http://tigressinapickle.blogspot.com/2011/06/buttermilk-ricotta.html
- Combine all the ingredients in a non-reactive saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture smells "cheesy" and visibly separates (you'll be able to see a clearish liquid around a mass of white).
- Line a fine mesh strainer with at least 4 layers of cheesecloth and place over a bowl (if your stainer is big enough you can use the sink).
- Carefully pour the contents of the pot into the strainer, allowing the liquid to drain out.
- Allow cheese to sit in the cheesecloth-lined strainer for 30 minutes, then bring up the ends of the cloth and loosely tie it around a spoon set over a bowl (or the sink faucet, if you won't be using it - which is what I did).
- Let drain another 10-15 minutes, depending on your texture preference.
- Keep in the fridge up to 1 week.