1/1 Photo of Buttermilk Ricotta
1 hr 5 mins
Super easy, fine textured and low fat cheese ready to nosh on in under 2 hours? You bet! Cook time includes draining time. Adapted from http://tigressinapickle.blogspot.com/2011/06/buttermilk-ricotta.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine all the ingredients in a non-reactive saucepan and place over medium heat.
- 2Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture smells "cheesy" and visibly separates (you'll be able to see a clearish liquid around a mass of white).
- 3Line a fine mesh strainer with at least 4 layers of cheesecloth and place over a bowl (if your stainer is big enough you can use the sink).
- 4Carefully pour the contents of the pot into the strainer, allowing the liquid to drain out.
- 5Allow cheese to sit in the cheesecloth-lined strainer for 30 minutes, then bring up the ends of the cloth and loosely tie it around a spoon set over a bowl (or the sink faucet, if you won't be using it - which is what I did).
- 6Let drain another 10-15 minutes, depending on your texture preference.
- 7Keep in the fridge up to 1 week.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Ricotta
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 92.7
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 9.6 mg
- Sodium 503.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 7.6 g