Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
You don't have to buy buttermilk for this recipe. You can make your own. You can substitute honey for sugar and regular flour for rice flour if desired. I have included sauce recipe. If you serve cake with vanilla ice cream, no sauce needed. Rhubarb is so versatile. I love it!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or 2 cups rice flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar or 1 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 drops red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups cut fresh rhubarb (cut in 2 inch pieces) or 4 cups frozen rhubarb, thawed (cut in 2 inch pieces)
- Pam cooking spray
- Use a 4 cup glass Pyrex measuring cup and add 2 cups milk, and the vinegar. Stir; set aside.
- In mixing bowl add flour, allspice, baking soda, salt and sugar. If using honey do not add yet.
- Add Crisco and cut in so mixture resembles crumbs.
- Now fold in honey. Do not use both sugar and honey.
- Drop eggs into Pyrex measuring cup and whisk until beaten and mixed.
- Add food coloring and vanilla.
- In large mixing bowl, add egg milk mixture.
- Add dry mixture with either sugar or honey a little at a time until all mixed. Now add rhubarb. If frozen and then thawed, drain the liquid. Add more food coloring if you want the color more intense.
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Spray Pam into large Bundt pan.
- Spoon cake batter in the pan.
- Bake 55 minutes until top springs back with a touch and sides shrink away from pan.
- Cool ten minutes and invert on serving dish.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, 1/4 cup honey, 2 tsp cinnamon and 3 Tbsp evaporated milk.
- In microwavable bowl, add all ingredients, microwave 70% power for 2 minutes, remove from oven and stir.
- Serve with cake if desired.
- This cake freezes very well, double wrapped.