Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A truly Southern traditional recipe.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs frying chicken
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 48 ounces vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons dry dill weed
- 2 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- Rinse chicken and pat dry; set aside.
- Fill large deep-fry pot or electric skillet to no more than half it's depth with oil. Heat to 325 degrees.
- In bowl, combine flour, dill, salt, and pepper.
- Fill another bowl with buttermilk.
- Place chicken, one piece at a time, in milk. Shake off excess.
- Roll in flour mixture and shake off excess.
- Repeat process.
- Fry in small batches-skin side down-10-15 minute longer, till juices run clear; drain well on paper towels.
- Let stand 7 minute before serving.