Prep 15 mins
Cook 26 mins
A classic in New Orleans
- Butter the sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan.
- In the saucepan combine brown sugar and buttermilk.
- Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar. Carefully clip candy thermometer to pan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until thermometer registers 234 degree F, soft-ball stage.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Add the 2 tablespoons butter, but do not stir. Cool, without stirring, to 150 degree F.
- Remove candy thermometer from saucepan.
- Immediately stir in pecans.
- Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until candy is just beginning to thicken, but is still glossy.
- Quickly drop the candy from a teaspoon onto a baking sheet lined with waxed paper.
- If the candy becomes too stiff to drop easily from the spoon, stir in a few drops of hot water.
- Store tightly covered.