Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an easy and moist pound cake.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Beat butter and shortening at medium speed for 2 min or until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until incorporated.
- Dissolve soda in buttermilk.
- Combine flour and salt, add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Mix at low speed after each addition just until blended.
- Stir in flavorings.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 min, remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack.
- Makes 14 servings.
- When cooled sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- Note- Cake may also be baked in two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans, bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes.