Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A lovely buttermilk pound cake recipe I found in Southern Living.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- buttermilk, glaze
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
- Stir in flavorings.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 12-cup bundt pan.
- Bake at 325° for one hour and five minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 10-15 minutes; removes from pan, and cool on wire rack.
- Pour buttermilk glaze over warm cake.
This cake was so good!! I made it in two loaf pans. The glaze was also very good. I definitely plan to make it many more times.
This is a wonderful cake. I didn't use a glaze on it either and I found that it took about 15 minutes longer to cook in a bundt pan.Very moist and flavourful- maybe next time I will try it in a couple of loaf pans. Thanks, Janet.
Wonderful! I didn't use the glaze (Mom never made pound cake that way) I like to put a slice in the toaster oven then spread with butter---delicious. Thanks!