Recipe by Donna M.
This versatile cake is quick to mix up and tastes wonderful! It has been a winner in my family for over 35 years. The recipe originally came from an aunt of mine.
Top Review by Bogey'sMom
I used both lemon and almond flavoring and this tasted terrific. We live on a military base, so consequently I have an old, unpredictable oven, which is I'm sure the reason my cake was somewhat dry. The flavor was so awesome, though, I cut it up and layered it with some homemade strawberry-lemon jam and homemade custard filling. Yummy. I'll make this again and again.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons flavoring (vanilla, almond, lemon or whatever you like)
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (or substitute 1 cup sweet milk with 1 Tbsp. lemon juice stirred in)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream sugar, shortening and eggs.
- Add flavoring.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk.
- Pour batter into greased and floured tube cake pan.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 300°.
- Cool 10 minutes and turn out of pan.
- VARIATIONS: Add 1 cup of chocolate chips, melted, to batter for chocolate cake.
- Add grated orange or lemon peel for orange or lemon cake.