Recipe by nadia murray
This is a tasty, not overly dense, moist cake from Paula Deen's new book. I modified it somewhat in that I used Plugra butter and Butter flavored Crisco and cake flour instead of all purpose.
Top Review by mianbao
This made an excellent cake. We had it with strawberries and whipped cream as in the recipe, and it was perfect. I cut the recipe in half and made it in my 6-cup half bundt pan. It made a rather small, but very good cake. Will definitely be using this recipe in the future. Thank you very much for posting it.
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream, well chilled
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325; grease and flour 10" tube or bundt pan.
- sift together flour, soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Cream butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each; add flour mixture alternately with combined buttermilk and vanilla- beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 1 1/2 hours or until tests done- toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and cake pulls away from sides of pan.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool in pan 10 minutes before removing from pan and cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Combine strawberries and sugar; let stand 30 minutes and serve cake with strawberries and sweetened whipped cream, if desired.