Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have been making this pie crust since the recipe came out in Bon Appetit in l99l. This recipe makes up enough for 2 crust pie and is definately very forgiving in the handling of it!!!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, diced (chilled and unsalted)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk, plus
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in large bowl. Add butter and shortening. Cut in using hands or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add buttermilk and stir with fork until moist clumps form. (Dough can also be prepared in processor. Using on/off turns, cut butter and shortening into dry ingredients until coarse meal forms. Add buttermilk and process just until moist clumps form.) Press together to form dough.
- Divide dough in half. Gather dough into balls; flatten into disks. Wrap separately and chill 1 hour.
- Note: Can be prepared ahead of time. Refrigerate 1 week or freeze 1 month. Let dough stand at room temperature to soften slightly before using.