Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
A Southern treat from Martha Stewart
Make and share this Buttermilk Pie recipe from Food.com.
Graham Cracker coated pie crust
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 4 graham crackers, finely ground (1/2 cup)
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- For crust: Use a 10-inch pie plate.
- Pulse flour and salt in food processor.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- With machine running, add ice water a little at a time until dough just holds together.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and flatten into a disk.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Spread graham crumbs on clean work surface.
- Roll out dough on top of crumbs, coating both sides, int6o a 14 inch round about 1/8 inch thick.
- Fit into pie plate, crimp edges and refrigerate shell at least 30 minutes.
- For Pie: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prick bottom of shell with a fork, line shell with foil, fill with dried beans and bake until edges are lightly browned- about 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes to lightly brown bottom of crust.
- Cool completely.
- Reduce oven to 350.
- In a bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, egg yolks and vanilla.
- In another bowl combine sugar, flour and salt.
- Whisk liquid ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Pass through a fine strainer into a clean bowl.
- Stir in lemon zest.
- Pour mixture into pie shell and bake until center is just set, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Cool and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Serve with berry sauce.
Awesome Pie! Thank you for posting. I tried 3 other pie's off of RZ and this one was surely the TOP! This should be listed as Lemon Buttermilk Pie as the zest definitely makes a lemon pie out of this one. This one is definitely Restaurant quality! Made the second time with a normal crust instead of the graham as I was looking for an old fashion type pie.
Oh my, this was wonderful and the lemon flavor was perfect! I can't wait to make this one again. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
This is a light, tangy and lemony pie. I'm not much for desserts as most are high up on the gag factor due to too much sugar. But this pie is great. I think the name of it may make some people run away screaming but believe me it is simple and tasty and you will want more than you should eat. :)