This recipe was originally noted by my wife on a cooking show on TV. It was touted as an Amish recipe. All we had for a long time was the list of ingredients on the back of an old envelope. We lost it for a good while and after I found it, I originally posted it so I would never lose it again. Thank you all for all your interest ... this is my absolute favorite pie. During the "lost" phase I must have gained 20 pounds trying numerous different buttermilk pie recipes ... I was so glad when I found it again as only a few even came close in taste and texture. I've noted a lot of people mentioning reducing the sugar, which is fine, but bear in mind that the sugar quantity was a major difference between this and other recipes I tested when it was lost. Hey, it is a PIE, it is SUPPOSED to be sweet. Enjoy
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light.
- Add the eggs and beat; then beat in vanilla.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and add to the batter alternatively with the buttermilk; beat until smooth.
- Pour into a deep dish pie shell and bake at 400F for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350F and bake for 50-60 additional minutes.
- Pie should turn a nice golden brown and a knife inserted should come out clean.
- I think it is absolutely best when it is just still warm. (Not too hot, or it will be like napalm.).