Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is an old southern favorite. From Miss Daisy's Tea Room, Nashville, TN
Make and share this Buttermilk Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add egg yolks and beat well.
- Add flour, salt, lemon juice and rind; mix thoroughly.
- Add buttermilk and mix well.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour filling into crust and bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees.
- Lower heat to 350 degrees and continue baking 40 minutes.
- May need to cover crust edges with foil it starts to get too brown.
I have a Buttermilk Pie recipe with exactly the same ingredients/proportions. I have been using this recipe forever and always had rave reviews. BUT, the difference is in the instructions. My recipe did not specify to beat the egg whites separately; it just calls for 3 eggs, beaten. I decided to try it, beating the whites separately, because I've always been displeased with the "look" of the finished pie. WOW! Same great tasting pie, but a lighter, fluffier presentation. We loved it!
I have been using a similar recipe for years. I add 1 1/2 cups of coconut to mine to give it an extra pizazz. My husband does not like buttermilk, so I tell him it is a coconut pie and he loves it!
My southern born husband who's mother always made the best pies, according to him, really liked this. For once, I didn't hear..."Well mom would have...". I really liked it too. I just didn't realize that buttermilk pie would be lemony! Yum!