Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This is an old southern favorite. From Miss Daisy's Tea Room, Nashville, TN
Top Review by Susie in Texas
I have a Buttermilk Pie recipe with exactly the same ingredients/proportions. I have been using this recipe forever and always had rave reviews. BUT, the difference is in the instructions. My recipe did not specify to beat the egg whites separately; it just calls for 3 eggs, beaten. I decided to try it, beating the whites separately, because I've always been displeased with the "look" of the finished pie. WOW! Same great tasting pie, but a lighter, fluffier presentation. We loved it!
- 1⁄3 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 9" unbaked pie shell
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add egg yolks and beat well.
- Add flour, salt, lemon juice and rind; mix thoroughly.
- Add buttermilk and mix well.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour filling into crust and bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees.
- Lower heat to 350 degrees and continue baking 40 minutes.
- May need to cover crust edges with foil it starts to get too brown.