Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe come from one of my old church cookbooks--Family Favorites, Highland Baptist Church, West Monroe, Louisiana, By Willie Jean Shields. Enjoy--
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 unbaked pastry shell
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine sugar and flour; mixing well.
- Add eggs, butter and buttermilk; beating well. Stir in flavoring. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat and bake at 325°F for 65 minutes.
I wasn't sure whether this was supposed to be served warm or cold so I tried it both ways and found cold to be better. I don't know how big the pastry shell was supposed to be, but I had about half the mix left over? I also found it very lemony, next time I'd use only one teaspoon of lemon extract. But it was a great easy way to use up some leftover buttermilk.
I'm wondering how much bodily damage can be done if I eat the whole thing.
forgot to rate it.