Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Nice and filling. From Peabody's food blog
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 2⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- Preheat to 450°F Place rack in middle.
- Separate eggs, putting yolks in a large bowl and whites in a medium bowl.
- Briefly whisk the yolks, then whisk in 1/3 cup of the sugar, the flour and the salt. Stir in the butter, and then the buttermilk and vanilla. Whisk until completely combined.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Continue beating, ad remaining 1/3 cup sugar, 1 TBSP at a time, until whites are stiff and glossy. Stir 1 cup of the whites into the yolk mixture; blend thoroughly. Spoon the lightened yolk mixture onto the remaining whites in the large bowl. Using a whisk, fold together gently but thoroughly. Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F Bake for another 20-25 minutes. The top of the pie should be dappled with brown and tenderly evenly set.
- Cool pie completely to room temperature on a rack before serving.