- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, slightly cooled or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup toasted pecan pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt, In another bowl, beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks.
- In a third bowl, beat the egg yolks with the buttermilk and butter.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the egg yolk mixture just until smooth.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites and pecans just until blended.
- Heat your waffle iron and bake the waffles according to the manufacturer instructions, browning and crisping on both sides.