Recipe by Ceezie
This recipe has a homemade crust with it as well. Yummy!! Recipe Source: Relish Mag
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 -3 1⁄2 tablespoons ice water
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup pecan pieces (or chopped pecans)
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the crust, combine flour and salt in a bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle surface with ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time; toss with a fork until moist and crumbly. Press mixture gently into a 5-inch circle; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 15 minutes. Flour dough lightly. Roll into circle between sheets of waxed paper on dampened countertop. Peel off top sheet. Flip into pie plate. Remove other sheet and press pastry to fit. Fold edge under. Flute.
- Preheat to 275°F
- To prepare the filling, beat eggs with a whisk. Add sugar and flour; beat well. Add melted butter, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Stir well.
- Sprinkle pecan pieces evenly into the pie crust; pour in egg mixture.
- Bake about 1 hour or until golden brown and set.