4 hrs 20 mins
For a more casual presentation, you can chill the panna cotta in one large bowl instead of individual ramekins, but it will take longer to set; use a serving spoon or an ice-cream scoop to serve it with the compote. Cook time is time required for the panna cotta to set.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE PANNA COTTA
- 2 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered unflavored gelatin
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
FOR THE COMPOTE
- 1Pour 1 cup buttermilk into top half of a double boiler; sprinkle gelatin over top.
- 2Let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 3Place six 4-ounce ramekins, small bowls, or custard cups on a baking sheet.
- 4Combine cream and 1/2 cup sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 5Add cream mixture to gelatin mixture.
- 6Place over a pan of simmering water.
- 7Whisk until gelatin has dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- 8Stir in remaining buttermilk.
- 9Pass mixture through a cheesecloth lined sieve.
- 10Divide among ramekins; cover with plastic wrap and chill until set, about 4 hours.
- 11For compote, put rhubarb, cherries, ginger, honey and balsamic vinegar in a bowl and let sit for several hours (at least two).
- 12Taste for sweetness, if still too tart add more honey to your taste.
- 13Put this mixture into a saucepan, bring to a boil, then take off heat and bring back to room temperature.
- 14(you may serve it warm or cold if you wish).
- 15To serve, unmold panna cotta by dipping ramekins briefly into a hot-water bath and run the tip of a knife around the edges.
- 16Invert onto serving plates and spoon compote over top.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Panna Cotta With Rhubarb Cherry Compote
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.5
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 36.2 mg
- Sodium 14.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 44.9 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: